January 25, 2006

N&O CRC considers setback exemptions after nourishment

I thought I have this issue figured out but after reading this N&O article I have a better understanding.
The question seems to be a little more complicated than simply letting people build on nourished beaches. As I read the articles the issue is rebuilding homes that saw the setback line move west prior to nourishment. Now the home cannot be rebuilt in same place even though there is substantial beach in front of the house. Think a Surfside Dr. home burning down and not being able to be rebuilt after we spent $30 million to nourish the beach in front of it. I am not endorsing the concept but I need to think about it more.

Note the photo in the article is of an unnourished beach and not indicitive of the issue at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home