May 5, 2007

What do you say to the Queen?

There has been a lot of coverage in the Va. Pilot of Queen Elizabeth II's visit to Tidewater. Much of that coverage and the associated commentary has focused on what could , would or should have been said by the select few who actually had a chance to exchange pleasantries with her royal highness. The choices have seemed rather bland to me. One suggested playing on her love of sorgi dogs or perhaps horses. Another chose to demonstrate his knowledge of English royal history citing Queen Anne's use of the royal veto. The topics were all of type, bland and uncontroversial.

For my part, I can think of only one message I would share with the Queen. "That my thoughts and prayers are with you and your grandson as he goes off to fight in our terrible mistake in Iraq". Her position and the pomp that accompanies it distract us from the simple fact that this 81 year old woman has a grandson getting ready to go to war. While I suspect she supports his choice of the military as a career more than most extremely wealthy grandmothers might, she still must have misgivings about sending her grandson into harms way. I suspect also that she shares the nearly universal view in her country that the war was a mistake, and the british lives lost there were squandered needlessly.

That sad theme of young lives needlessly - senselessly taken, was reinforced yesterday by the photos from Kent State in 1970. Perhaps it was the juxtaposition of Kent State and Virginia Tech that made me think of concerns for Prince Harry that his grandmother must have. His deployment has been delayed . He did not fly to Iraq on Friday with rest of his unit, but he will. There is no way I can see that his country can not send him and I believe he wants to serve with his mates. He chose his path, he understood the possible outcomes and he seems to accept them.  No fault in that and it must make is grandmother proud and concerned.

I will watch the Kentucky Derby this afternoon, so will the Queen. I will enjoy the race and relax for a while from the few petty problems that plague my life. I hope the Queen gets a chance to enjoy the race and relax as well. Maybe it will take her mind off the one thing that would be on mine. I hope so, and hope all our sons and daughters and grandsons and granddaughters get to come home soon.

1 Comments:

At 9:28 PM, Blogger Bob O said...

Here's what President Bush said to the queen: "Today our two nations are defending liberty against tyranny and terror," he said. "We're resisting those who murder the innocent to advance a hateful ideology, whether they kill in New York or London, or Kabul or Baghdad.

"American and British forces are staying on the offence against the extremists and terrorists. We're supporting young democracies.

"Our work has been hard. The fruits of our work have been difficult for many to see. Yet our work remains the surest path to peace, and it reflects the values cherished by Americans and by Britons, and by the vast majority of people across the broader Middle East."

I have to agree with the principles, and the thought that some things are worth fighting for.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home