June 2, 2007

I saw it first

OK here's the deal. I think I saw this first. Don't read it. It will piss you off.
I get to do a post on it .... tomorrow. Its been too nice a day there is soccer on USvChina then DCvLA so I don't really have time right now. I will take just the paragraphs I quoted here. Its more than I need. Feel free to take the rest. Please DO NOT read the comments. You might get upset. If you do read the comments just remember that there are 5 counties in NC that sent more money to Raleigh than they receive. Charlotte/Meck. is one, the other 4 are all coastal counties. Dare is definitely one.
Remember I saw this first.

Experts Fear Major Hurricane Could Wipe out N.C's Outer Banks :: WRAL.com

While much of the Outer Banks are untouched by man, protected as part of two national seashores and a national wildlife refuge, there is rampant development elsewhere. A storm that wipes out the islands could dump an untold amount of gas, chemicals and remnants of destroyed homes and buildings into the ocean.

"The environment is the sort of the unnoticed victim that barrier islands face in hurricanes," Pilkey said.

Officials have spent millions trying to salvage homes with stilts and sandbags, and even by moving sand on their own. The costs can be staggering: a 50-year beach nourishment project to protect just 14 miles of beach in Nags Head and Kitty Hawk would cost $1.6 billion, according to an U.S. Army Corps of Engineers estimate.

"These are just stopgap attempts," said Jan Deblieu, the Cape Hatteras Coastkeeper for the North Carolina Coastal Federation, a conservation group. "We won't ever get the equation exactly right."




Powered by ScribeFire.

4 Comments:

At 9:29 PM, Blogger Russ said...

"I saw it first". Is this similar to my dog marking his territory on a new yard stake before the neighbor's dog does the same? I think we used to call it "dibs".

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger BOBXNC said...

OK TJ I call Dibs.

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger BOBXNC said...

That reminds me, one of my most humble moments. Somewhere there is a photo of a young dog marking his dibs on a Muller for Mayor yard sign. It helps things in perspective.

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Ronnie Roach said...

I have two rooms packed and moving to the living room. Hardy Moving and Storage should be here at 8:00 on Monday. I have to get out of here before we are washed away and swimming in sewage and gas.

The way I see this - it is an economic opportunity for my family. Move to the beautiful Alligator Sound which should rapidly increase in value.

All of the local bloggers will have a place to stay at my house until they can get back on their feet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home