June 4, 2007

N&O | Rising sea level redefines N.C. coast

No challenges on this one. The News and Observer kicks off a summer long series on global warming and it's impact on the state with a focus on rising sea level. I'm no expert on global warming but the article features some people who do make such claims. Most of the predictions are in geologic time frames so the people who bought Kevin's house can at least pay off the mortgage before they abandon Vista Colony.
Make sure you look at the photos. If these had been in my arsenal during the referendum campaign we would be putting sand on the beach next spring. There is a great shot of a women fishing from the deck of a house on Seagull Dr. The captions says "Its just like fishing on the pier". Where's Uncle Jack to tell us how great the beaches are in Sonag, these photos tell a little different story.
Anyway, enjoy the article just don't plan to leave the house to your grandkids. Live in econcomic time plan in geologic time - that's what I always say.


By the way, at the very end of the article Dr. Riggs talks about the megastorm that will destroy the OBX but the rest of the piece was so solid it didn't even piss me off. Thank to the N&O and to Wade Rawlins, Staff Writer, who obviously is a journalist.

4 Comments:

At 4:26 PM, Blogger Bill Graber said...

Hey that's S Nag... all you have todo is have the wind blow hard down there and it floods... that why I moved up beach... last Thanksgivings Nor' easter was just too much for me.

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger dufus said...

I still get my N&O the old fashioned way - on the driveway every morning - and noted the usual N&O scare tactic reporting when it comes to Dare County. On the other hand - I'm stocking up on scuba gear for y'all.

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger barry j. brockway said...

WHAT IS THE LATEST ON BEACH NOURISHMENT IN NAGS HEAD . I KNOW THE COUNTY HAS NOT STOPPED COLLECTING THE 1% OF OCCUPANCY TAX THAT IS RESTRICTED FUNDING FOR THE PROJECT.ARE WE WAITING FOIR FEDERAL FUNDING?

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger BOBXNC said...

Barry,
The county is still collecting the O. tax as you suggest. A portion of the fund wss allocated for sandbags. Mssrs. Overwash may be better informed than I am. My thoughts on Mr. Baker sside I have taken a big step back on the issue. Stop into Mayor Cahoon's store when you are down and ask her.

How is your son doing? Any word on Williams?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home