May 15, 2008

VA Pilot - Anonymous Charity.


In todays NC Section the Virginian Pilot follows up on the story of a woman burned in a terrible fire Her courage and determination is a wonderful example of the power of the human spirit. What struck me about the article though was not just her courage but her support structure:
"Cowell spent a year in the Shriners Hospitals for Children in Cincinnati, later spending months at Albemarle Hospital, where she was finally able to see her family. All of her expenses, including her treatments and medicine, have been covered by the Shriners, she said.
They would also later help Cowell with her scoliosis.
Today, she makes an effort to spread the word about all the good the Shriners do; she often speaks to schools and clubs for the Elizabeth City Shrine Club.
'I'll go anywhere to talk about them,' she said.
'Without them,' she added. 'I wouldn't have made it.'"
When I think of the Shriners I think of the funny guys in the St. Patricks Day Parade and the stereotypical drunken conventioneer. with a fez and a buzz. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I am not a shriner or a Mason. I know some and the are probably some folks I know who are members that I am not aware of. They don't wear their affiliation on their sleeve. In fact they practice a motto that the best charity is anonymous charity. I have enormous respect for that.
Not much more to say about this except thanks to any Shriners who read this blog, Thanks for caring and for doing something purposeful about human suffering. You make me laugh and you make me cry.
Ciao

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home